Having a friend with benefits is the staple of college relationships. Commitment is something a lot of college kids run away with fear from, but having someone who will always be there when you're down for a night on the sheets is a necessity.
For a lot of people, having a friend with benefits falls apart within a few months. Someone catches feelings, someone wants something more than the other, or things just all-in-all get really damn messy. This means the situation the two of you are in ends a lot quicker than you probably thought.
But for some of us, having a friend with benefits doesn't get messy, and can actually last a really long time. For anyone out there who has had the same FWB for a year (or two, like someone I know...), these feelings are some I'm sure you've felt time and time again.
1. Having someone who is always to hook up is the BEST.
I don't have to spend a bunch of time swiping on Tinder and awkwardly having conversations with only one purpose. All I have to do is send a couple texts and next thing you know he's over.
2. We've known each other for so long I could literally write a book about him, but yet I'm also 100% not taking him home for Thanksgiving.
We've been hanging out for so long and having random conversations about our life that I know where he's going to be working when he graduates, stuff about his family, and his favorite character from "The Office." But would I let him come to Thanksgiving dinner? Hell. No.
3. Constantly wondering how much different things would be if the two of you started dating.
Just a label, probably.
4. My neighbors have seen him over so often they probably think we are dating...
Having the same guy over every Friday and Saturday means every stranger in the nearby apartment is just going to go ahead and assume he's your boyfriend.
5. What is it like to have sex with someone other than them?
After having sex with the same person for so long, you begin to forget what it's like to hook up with different people. Which can be a good thing YES, but can also be kinda weird.
6. Aren't friends with benefits supposed to be messy?
Literally everyone told me to avoid getting an FWB at all costs because it'd be super messy and I'd catch feelings only to be let down. I like to think they were kind of wrong, because my relationship with my long-term friend with benefits is the farthest thing from messy. It's really amazing, actually.
7. When grandma asks me if I'm talking to any boys, do I tell her about him or no?
Is what we're doing worth noting to grandma at the dinner table because I'm gonna guess probably not...
8. We never actually put a label on our relationship, so what actually are we?!
We never officially said we're friends with benefits, so what exactly is our relationship? I guess this is the part where stuff can get messy...
9. Are they hooking up with anyone else?
Because we never put a label on things, we also never became exclusive. This means for all I know they could be spend their Thursday nights at some girl named Rachel's apartment doing the same thing we do at least once a week. It's an odd thought.
10. Do they think there's a potential for more between us?
Once again, this is where I can see things getting kind of messy, especially if we're not on the same page.
11. Should I hope for more between us?
After hooking up for two years and getting to know each other pretty damn well, I'm going to go ahead and assume if there was any hope for the two of us to be something more, it would've already happened.